The IABA Coach Education Pathway has three levels:
- Fundamentals of Coaching Boxing Assistant Coach – This course is for those wishing to begin their coaching career and gain an excellent grounding in fundamental technical aspects of boxing. Assistant coaches may sit at second corner in championship bouts.
- Level 1 Club Coach – This course provides the minimum certification required for coaches to act as first corner in championship bouts and provides the technical grounding to enable coaches to bring boxers to competition.
- Level 2 Performance Coach – This course provides advanced technical skills and coaching techniques to Level 1 qualified coaches.
Fundamentals of Coaching Boxing Assistant Coach Application Procedure:
- IABA Website Expression of Interest: https://kwiksurveys.com/s/k4Ujk8k2
- IABA Coach Ed Application Form submitted.
- Application procedure and the below applicant criteria will be communicated to all affiliated clubs by direct email and will be available on the IABA website and on all IABA social media channels. Published information will include the email contact details of the IABA Administrator, for further information purposes.
- Applicant Requirement:
- Be a member of an IABA approved affiliated club.
- Aged 16 or over.
- If under 18 years of age, parental consent must be submitted.
- Valid Garda Vetting/Access NI Check or proof of submission of Garda Vetting application/Access NI Check
- Prior to taking the role of qualified Fundamentals of Coaching Boxing (Assistant Coach), the successful applicant must undergo the required safeguarding training and produce evidence of same.
- The appropriate fee of €100 must be paid, in full, in advance. The fee is non-refundable in the event the applicant does not attend the relevant course.
- Submit application form (provided by IABA).
- Application form must be approved by provincial council within 7 days, otherwise head office will approve notwithstanding obvious issues.
- Sign on to abide by the IABA Coaches Code of Conduct.
Upon completion, assistant coaches will:
- Be eligible to assist any level 1 coach or above in their boxing club.
- Be insured to coach within their boxing club.
- Sit as number one in the corner for club, county and provincial competition.
- Sit as number two to Level 1 coaches and above at national competition.
- Be eligible to assist in delivering schools boxing programmes.
- Begin their 6-month journey gaining experience until they can apply for the IABA Level 1 (Club Coach) qualification.