Sligo IT’s Sports Scholarship is now open for applications for the academic year 2022/23.
IT Sligo, soon to be Atlantic Technological University (ATU), offers Scholarships at three levels across all Sports.
It currently has scholars in Boxing, GAA, Soccer, Athletics, Rugby, Golf, Equestrian, Basketball, Chess, Gymnastics, Windsurfing, Kayaking, Strongman and Pentathlon.
Scholarships come with financial and additional supports for students. Derabhla Rooney of Sean Mc Dermott Boxing Club is the current recipient of the Boxing Sports Scholarship.
Sligo IT says “The Sports Scholarship Programme is designed to nurture talented sports people who are prepared to make the commitment to the IT Sligo sports clubs in their chosen discipline. If successful, you will also have to balance this with your studies:
- This means that you will be expected to represent IT Sligo at third level competitions while satisfying academic requirements.
- The overall aim of the scheme is to recruit, manage and develop players/athletes with exceptional ability to position IT Sligo as a premier centre of sporting performance.
- Sports Scholarships are awarded for a period of one year but may be renewed for up to a maximum of 4 years.
- Bonus CAO points may also be awarded to elite sports people. We encourage students to apply before May 1st so they can be considered for this bonus.
- Sport Travel Bursaries are also available to students competing at national and international levels.
- The Sports Scholarship comes with lots of additional benefits including full use of IT Sligo sports facilities, academic support and IT Sligo branded sports scholarship gear
The closing date for applications is September 15th, and additional information is available here.