Team Ireland have claimed four medals at the European Juniors Championship, following the first of two days of Quarter Finals.
50kg Grace Conway Dowling opened Ireland’s account in Bout 3 of Ring A’s afternoon session, against Ukraine’s Daria Makhrova and claims at least a bronze, following a 5-0 win; 27:30, 27:30, 27:30
54kg Niamh Keogh boxed her first bout of the competition in bout 7, against Lithuania’s Silvija Karavackaite. The Irish fighter has won bronze, and a semi-final berth following a 4-1 split decision win – 29:28, 29:28, 28:29, 29:28, 29:28.
Team Co-Captain, lighweight Ava Rose Henry met Turkey’s Sena Zeynep Comart in bout 13. She is also assured of a medal, following a 5-0 win. Judges scored the bout 30:26, 30:27, 30:27, 30:27, 30:27.
57kg Siofra Lawless was the ropes against Viktorie Jilkova of the Czech Republic in bout 12 of Ring B’s afternoon session; the 5-0 decision went to her opponent, 29:28, 29:28, 29:28, 29:28, 29:28. 3 bouts later, 80kg Shauna Crehan made her tournament debut in bout 15 against Poland’s Kornelia Amelia Kostrzewa and suffered a similar 5-0 fate – 29:25, 29:24, 29:25, 29:27, 29:27.
Team Co-Captain, light middle Charlie Valbergs, opened proceedings in Ring A’s evening session against Hungary’s Krisztian Nileborg. The 5-0 decision went to the Hungarian boxer, 26:30, 27:30, 28:29, 27:30
44-46kg Sophie Curley Gray contested in bout 4, against Spain’s Claudia Aparici Alcaniz and has claimed at least a bronze medal after a 5-0 win. The scoreline: 27:30, 27:30, 27:30, 27:30, 26:30.
66kg Sarah Murphy was in action in bout 8, against home boxer Amina Golinelli, who won by way of RSC 3. While in bout 9 in Ring B, light middle, Jodie Byrne, met Turkey’s Gul Yonca Yilmaz, who progresses the the semi finals following a 4-1 split decision – 27:30, 27:30, 29:28, 27:30, 27:30.
8 Team Ireland boxers are in Quarter Final action on Saturday.
In Ring B’s afternoon session, 44-46kg Alfie Jordan opens proceedings, against Alexandru Censusa of Moldova. 3 bouts later, at fly, Calvin Doyle takes on Mihal Daniel Irofte of Romania. In bout 10, welter Tadgh O’Donnelly contests against Armenia’s Agrishti Hakobyan. Heavyweight Adam Olaniyan meets home boxer Vincenzo Guida in bout 14.
In Ring A’s evening session, light fly Jamie Collins is second between the ropes, and boxes Serbia’s Admir Kamensnicanin. Four bouts later, feather Callum Carragher boxes for a medal against Azerbaijan’s Mahammadali Gasimzade.
Over in Ring B, light bantam John Harty is in action in Bout 4, against Greece’s Kostantinos Sarigiannidis and light welter, Cillian Reilly Lennon meets Armenia’s Marat Mikaelyan
Day Five programme:
The EUBC is streaming the tournament on its YouTube Channel:
Team Ireland Squad
1. 44-46kg Alfie Jordan (Olympic L)
2. 48kg Jamie Collins (Drimnagh)
3. 50kg Calvin Doyle (Olympic L)
4. 52kg Johnny Harty (Portlaoise)
5. 54kg James Kelly (Holy Trinity)
6. 57kg Callum Carrager (Tredagh)
7. 60kg Ryan Jenkins (Olympic L)
8. 63kg Cillian Reilly (Jobstown)
9. 66kg Tadhg O’Donnell (Four Kings)
10. 70kg Charlie Valbergs (Cherry Orchard). Team Captain
11. 75kg Dylan McShane (St Pauls A)
12. 80kg Jack Teggart Weatherall (St Pauls A)
13. 80+kg Adam Olaniyan (Jobstown)
1. 44-46kg Sophie Curley Gray (Dealgan)
2. 50kg Grace Conway (Tredagh)
3. 52kg Carlagh Peake (Ballyhaunis)
4. 54kg Niamh Keogh (Olympic L)
5. 57kg Siofra Lawless (Liberty)
6. 60kg Ava Henry (Docklands) Team Captain,
7. 63kg Kayleigh Whelan (Avona)
8. 66kg Sarah Murphy (St Brigids L)
9. 70kg Jodie Byrne (St Teresa’s)
10. 75kg Mary McDonagh (Sliabh Luachra)
11. 80kg Shauna Crehan (Dunboyne)
1. Ralph McKay
2. Liam Cunningham
3. Paul O’Toole
4. Linda Morgan
Drawsheets are available here
Day One results are available here:
Day Two results are available here
Day Three results are available here
Day Four results: